Friday, September 26, 2008

Live Simply




I was driving into the office today and starting thinking about all my "stuff." Over the past year I've been on a journey of self-examination. Most of the time, I'm not too stoked on what I find. I have so much, while most of the world scrapes by to survive. Dangit--I want to "live simply so that others may simply live", but I suck at it. I'm a tech freak and I love all the gadgets that are out there. At the same time, If I added up all the money that I've spent on cool gadgets over the years--well, I could've put several children through school in Uganda. My heart is changing, but my habits are slow to catch up. What should I be doing with the resources I've been blessed with? I know the answer, but I'm not as quick to act as I should be. I'm done with excuses. I hate that I get numb to my true feelings by the shiny toy in the window. I want to change. I don't want the "stuff" anymore. It has no real depth. I want to be the hands and feet that reach out to the suffering and love them. My "stuff" can get in the way. Well, actually it's my pursuit of "stuff" that gets in the way. Two of the things I've been called to do as a Christian--love God and love people. A pastor that I really respect, Matt Chandler, gave a sermon in which he said, "Outside, people in this world are dying, and we're drinking lattes, man. We're drinking lattes." This wasn't a call to stop drinking coffee. It was a call to open our eyes to where our treasure is. Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Will I spend $4 on a cup of fancy coffee but not do the same to help the hurting in this world. $4 a could change a life--FOUR BUCKS A DAY!! We'll spend it on coffee--how much more is the value of human life? I've talked to some people about this and some feel overwhelmed. They say "The problem is so huge, What can we REALLY do about it." They go on to talk about corrupt government in these countries and how persecution will always be there and that the governments have to change before any REAL help can come to these people. I honestly think this logic is just a way to make themselves feel better about not getting involved. Yes--the idea of changing corrupt government seems rather intimidating from where I sit in my cubicle. But that's not going to stop me from doing everything I can to help the suffering. BTW--not only in other countries, but in the ol' U.S. of A. as well. Check out this story adapted from "The Star Thrower", by Loren Eiseley:

Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said, "It made a difference for that one."

If everyone thinks the problem is too huge, than no one makes a difference. Will you make a difference? Will you be the change?

http://www.compassion.com/default.htm

http://www.worldvision.org/

https://takeaction.amnestyusa.org/site/c.jhKPIXPCIoE/b.2805861/apps/ka/sd/donorcustom.asp?msource=google08&CMP=KNC-gad-us-brand

http://www.feedthechildren.org/site/PageServer?pagename=dotorg_homepage

1 comment:

Melanie said...

yeah...of all the things that I've been wrestling with over the past few months, this one might be #1. No matter which way you try to spin it or justify it, I just can't be at peace looking at all my "stuff" ("crap") knowing that there are people dying all over the world, every day, of preventable diseases. I just can't justify that...
"...The world will never be safe as long as millions live in poverty so the few can live as they wish."
geeeeez